Athlete Application form now available. Deadline to submit – March 24, 2014.
(Friday, February 7, 2014) – Are you an Aboriginal athlete born in 1995 through 2002 and you compete in cross-country or track and field? Led by Head Coach Peter Cross, Team BC is currently accepting applications from athletes interested in competing in Athletics (cross-country, track & field) at the 2014 North American Indigenous Games (NAIG) to be held July 20-27, 2014 in Regina, Saskatchewan. The deadline to submit is March 24, 2014.
Athletes who submit an application must also submit their performance results from the past and current season using the performance results sheet included in the application. Athletes will be selected based primarily on performance results, but other factors such as commitment to training, conduct, attitude may also be considered. Athletes to be notified in April of selection results with plan for a Team BC training camp prior to NAIG. Details on the athletics competition at NAIG and the application form can be found below:
ATHLETE ELIGIBILITY – In order to be eligible for participation on Team BC for North American Indigenous Games (NAIG), athletes must:
• Meet the sport-specific age requirement
• Be a resident of BC
• Be born of Aboriginal (North American Indigenous) ancestry. Athletes will be required to provide proof of ancestry (e.g. Status Card, Métis Card, First Nations Card, Treaty Card, Inuit and Inuvialuit identification)*. *athletes without a card, may be eligible through the Declaration of Aboriginal Ancestry form. Email email@example.com for more detail.
AGE ELIGIBILITY (ATHLETICS) – The 2014 NAIG competition in Athletics will consist of both male and female individual and team relay events for the following age categories:
• U19 (defined as born 1995 to 1997); and
• U16 (defined as born 1998 to 1999); and
• U14 (defined as born 2000 to 2002)
TEAM SIZE (ATHLETICS) – Team BC is seeking up to maximum of eight (8) male and eight (8) female athletes for each age category to compete at 2014 NAIG. An athlete is allowed to compete in four events plus two (2) relays. Cross country counts as one of the four events. For each age category, each contingent has a maximum of 3 athletes per individual event.
HOW TO SUBMIT APPLICATION (DEADLINE TO APPLY IS MARCH 24, 2014.)
• STEP 1: Please read the full Athlete Selection Process document – click here to access the document.
• STEP 2: Submit your application:
o To submit your application online – click here to access the online application.
o Or to download a hard copy version of application – click here
• STEP 3: You must also submit your performance results. To access the performance results sheet – click here.
• For more information about the athletics competition at NAIG please click here.
For more information, please contact:
Team BC Chef de Mission
Manager, Sport Development & Competitions
1-800-990-2432 ext. 233